So Much to See, So Little Time
- Survey the displays of Philadelphia’s maritime past comprised of some 40,000 objects from around the world. From paintings, to engines, to diving gear, you won’t run out of things to see.
- Pan through various exhibits showcasing a broad spectrum of the history of the Delaware River and Bay, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
- Like the always moving Delaware River on which it sits, the museum boasts constantly changing exhibits and galleries. In partnership with the Independence Seaport Museum, a host of Philadelphian community guest curators present rotating exhibits year-around. From tugboat exhibits to archeological findings, the continuous introduction of new exhibits provides visitors with a fresh variety of information and entertainment year-round. Yes, this means you can go again next year!
- What would a marine museum be without ships? The museum features the world’s oldest steel warship afloat, the Olympia; a World War II and cold war submarine, the Becuna; and two other National Historic Landmark naval vessels.
- Swing by the Boat Shop. See current works-in-progress being constructed, like a Beetle Manufacturing Company whaleboat. Check out the various boats on display, including race boats built by the Seaport Museum.
Take a Tour
- Peruse the Delaware River on a Chinese Junk-rigged schooner, a reproduction of a 1920’s commuter yacht, a ferry boat.
- Throw on a hard hat and take behind-the-scenes, below-the-deck tours of the Olympia and Becuna. See the engines and boiler room, and scope out the working machinery.
- Sign up for a guided walking tour through Philadelphia’s Old City, where you just might meet a pirate!
- Or tour the museum on your own terms with a self-guided tour.
Need a Little More Hands On?
- Check out the museum’s student programs, each tailored to specific age ranges, from K-12. Kids get a classroom lesson, hands-on activities, and close-up tours of the ships, all led by a museum education.
- Give your kids a vacation from vacation, and sign them up for one of Seaport’s week-long summer camps.
- The fun isn’t just for kids. Adult programs are offered, as well, including behind-the-scenes ship tours and dinner on a ship like the Moshulu, the AAA Four-Diamond rated restaurant.
- Undertake the ultimate Independence Seaport Museum experience, and live like a sailor! Explore the Olympia, have an evening snack, then crawl into bed. Wait, what? That’s right! Spend a night on the Olympia, followed by a next-morning Continental Breakfast.
|Hours:||Open daily 10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Address/Map:||211 S Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106|
|Website:||Independence Seaport Museum|
|Admission:||Adults: $13.50 | Seniors: $10 | Children/College Students/Military: $10|