I'm currently on a last second road trip. My husband surprised me and decided that we need to be more spontaneous, so he made me pack my bags and we are driving to the West Coast of the United States from our town of St. Louis.
You might not know this, but this will be around a 60 to 70 hour round trip on the road, which is a lot of driving! We plan on making a lot of stops along the way so that we can really enjoy how beautiful the United States is.
One stop that I really want to make is to visit Hanging Lake Hiking Trail.
When I was doing my research the other day of things that we must stop at (yes, even though this trip was last second and we left within hours of making the decision to do this road trip, I still did some research - that's just how I am), one thing that really caught my eye was Hanging Lake.
I saw a few pictures of Hanging Lake, and I was hooked. Hanging Lake is a National Landmark located in Glenwood Canyon near Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
Here, there are beautiful cliffs, scenery, clear water, animals, waterfalls and more for you to look at. The water is amazingly beautiful, it is just crazy how clear it is. I have heard that this is a very beautiful hike, and there is a reason for why it is so popular and busy during the summer months.
How do I get to Hanging Lake?
Hanging Lake is approximately 150 miles west of the city of Denver. Go eastbound on I-70 (you may have to turn around at the Grizzly Creek exit as there is no westbound exit to Hanging Lake), and take the Hanging Lake exit off the highway.
The trail to hike to Hanging Lake is around .25 miles east of the parking area.
Once you find the trail, you can get to Hanging Lake by taking the 1.2 mile trail that is at the bottom of the canyon.
What should I know before I visit?
Hanging Lake is a National Landmark, and there are rules that you should be aware of to make your trip more enjoyable and so that there are no unwanted surprises when you arrive.
Here are the things that you should know before you make your trip:
- It is free to enter.
- There are bathrooms located in the rest area. However, there are no bathrooms or facilities once you reach the top, so make sure you are prepared.
- Fishing is not allowed.
- Pets are not allowed on the trail or at Hanging Lake.
- You are not allowed to swim in the lake.
- You are supposed to stay on the trail at all times. Keep in mind that this is a natural beauty, and everyone wants it to stay that way.
- Be prepared for the hike. Even though it is only 1.2 miles long, it is said to be very strenuous. Make sure you bring your best hiking boots, lots of water so that you can hydrate yourself, and take breaks along the way if you need to as well.
- On the weekends and during holidays, Hanging Lake can be very busy. Planning your trip during the week and not on a holiday can save you a lot of time. You can only park in the designated parking lot, and not along the highway or on the road, so keep that in mind.
Have you ever been to Hanging Lake? What did you think of it?