Have you ever been to the city of Portland in the state of Oregon? There are approximately 3 million people in the Portland metropolitan area (and almost 600,000 in the actual city), and it seems to keep on growing.
The city seems to always be in the media. Between the TV show Portlandia, and people from all over the United States raving about the city, it would be hard to have not heard about the growing city. Portland is known for its eclectic population and is known to be very eco-friendly. It is also one of the "greenest" cities in the world.
History of Portland, Oregon.
The area of Portland used to be inhabited by the Upper Chinook Indians. Portland was founded in 1843 and was incorporated in 1851. At this point, the area had around 800 people living there. By the year of 1879, the population of Portland grew significantly to over 17,000, which signifies significant growth for a city in any day and age.
Here are some reasons for why you should visit Portland as soon as you can:
- There are plenty of food trucks. If you are a food truck lover like I am, then this should be enough of a reason. There are casual food trucks and even high-end food trucks. The cuisine varies widely as well.
- There are plenty of beers to try at any of the numerous micro-breweries in Portland.
- The city is very artsy. If you are an artsy person, then you will love Portland. Definitely visit the Portland Art Museum.
- There are many great places to hike, bike, walk and so on. The area that Portland is in is absolutely beautiful.
- The city is affordable. You can easily make Portland an affordable vacation. There are different things for you no matter what your budget is.
- Portland Rose Festival. BEAUTIFUL!
- Voodoo Doughnut - 'Nuff said.
- The numerous Farmers Markets mean that you will find exactly what you are looking for. From food to art to vintage furniture, they've got it all.
- The Japanese Garden is said to be one of the best outside of the country of Japan.
- Go for a ride on one of the free vintage trolleys.
- The restaurant industry in the Portland area is starting to become very famous. There are many new restaurants to try with all different types of food.
What is the weather like in Portland, Oregon?
You might have heard that it rains a lot in Portland, and that is very correct. The rain usually lasts nearly every single day for approximately nine months (from September to around the month of June). The average amount of rain ranges from a little less than four inches in August to 19 inches in the months of November and December each. The city does get very little snow though, which is surprising to most visitors.
Temperatures in Portland, Oregon usually range from around 50 degrees Fahrenheit to around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want nice temperatures and smaller chances are rain, then you probably want to visit between the months of July and September.
Have you ever visited the city of Portland in Oregon?